I am writing this post, which I wanted to write since I sent my first postcard from Auckland, New Zealand in 2017 and haven’t received till now, after an article published in Hindustan Times titled You’ve (still) got mail: Why postcards are forever. Although, Hindustan Times has had published some articles earlier too, I found my spirit after reading this particular article. Sending postcards from every place one visits is a dying hobby and an infant business these days. I used to send post cards in reply to quizzes to TV shows in the 90’s. I used to send greeting cards and post cards and letters to my aunts and friends in my childhood. I don’t know why I stopped. Lack of interest should be the main reason since card companies went “online” to save their business.
But as of today, I am happy to say that I have now rekindled this interest. I buy a post card every time I go to a new place and scribble something on it to mark the location. I also ask my friends to get me a post card whenever they visit any new place. Why I do that is because:
1. Best Souvenirs – Nowadays one is able to get anything, from any part of the world, thanks to e-bay, Amazon, etc. So how can I bring something from that part of the world which I can say “I brought (or got) it from the place I (or my friend) visited”. Post cards make the best souvenirs. A picture is worth more than a thousand words. Post cards have these photos of the places one visited and incredibly tell something about the place. Be it architecture, culture, tradition. Post cards are like a part of the place once can bring themselves with. More importantly, nothing can beat the “reliving the memory experience” while looking at these post cards.
2. Superbly Cheap – They are easier and cheaper to buy. Buy them at post office, souvenir shops, museums. Stamp them and send them by post. Even if one doesn’t send by post, one can always carry them and give in person.
3. Happy Experience – Sending a handwritten notes on post cards is one of an happy experience. The thoughts that need to be scribbled on the small space are very intimate to the person (including oneself) the post card is being sent. The unexpected happiness and smiles on the face of the person receiving the post card. Priceless. Forever.
4. Inspires Travelling – When one sees post cards, they remind of the places one has traveled. One cannot escape the feeling of getting “inspired” to travel again, to explore more, to understand the world more, and to get more post cards. They make you realize how the world and yourself has changed over a time. They make you realize how far you have come. They make you story-tellers.
5. Wall Art – Post Cards make for awesome arts. Post cards come in variety of sizes & shapes and with different pictures. Arrange them in any way you like and you will love them nonetheless. They inspire you to be your own interior designer. I have few. So I have arranged them on my fridge along with my magnets.
Now, there are many e-commerce set-ups have come that let you buy awesome hand painted post cards, which make up for collecting series. But I still suggest to travel to a place and buy a post card from that place. The experience of travelling is thrilling and the memory of the post card is awesome. Travelling in itself opens the mind and soul. A post card is a remembrance for the same.
Happy travelling. Happy sending post cards.